[CentOS] VSFTPD problem ?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:56:25 UTC 2006

On 29/08/06, denis at croombs.org <denis at croombs.org> wrote:
> > Are the contents of /etc/shells the same on each server? Do the
> > default shells specified in /etc/passwd for the user match on each
> > server? And as everyone else pointed out, is there anything in
> > /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages ?
> >
> Yes I have restarted it after each change to the conf file.
> The shell for both is the same and the user can ssh onto both machines and
> on both systems can get to the home directory first time with no errors.
> No errors in ANY logs, which is why it is blowing my mind, the 1st server
> just worked, and this second 1 is just driving me up the wall.

Just to verify, have you checked /etc/shells on each server too? Oh,
might be worth checking /etc/nsswitch.conf too to ensure the user
auth's local in both cases.

If so and it's looking OK then I'd probably start the daemon manually
under strace on each system and compare what that shows on login.

Something like the following may be a good place to start:

[root at willspc ~]# strace -f /usr/sbin/vsftpd 2>&1 | grep read

Will.