[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 - MySQL - NIS user issue

Tom Brown

tom at ng23.net
Wed Aug 30 21:00:23 UTC 2006

Hi

I have what i think is a strange issue -

All my users are NIS users and they can access this box fine. I have a
MySQL server running on this box that is running fine. The OS 'root'
user can authenticate and use MySQL fine e.g.

[root at xxxxxxx]# mysql -u bugs -pxxxx bugs

Your MySQL connection id is 5 to server version: 3.23.58

mysql>

Yes i know thats an ancient MySQL version but this is an app
requirement, dont get me started!

now when a NIS user tries to use the db

[root at xxxx]# su - bugzilla
bugzilla at xxxx$ mysql -u bugs -pxxxx bugs
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

any ideas why this is or what i can do to make it work?

thanks