[CentOS] Re: Kind of OT: internal imap server

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 21:04:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 12:13 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> Karanbir Singh spake the following on 8/30/2006 11:30 AM:
> > Scott Silva wrote:
> >> <snip>

> > dont waste time, pass postfix, go straight to exim...
> >
> > - K
> I see flames!!!
>
> I wish I could find an UNBIASED comparison of the main MTA's.
> I just seem to find ones that slant to the one that just happens to be used by
> the writer.

Not possible? Those who bother to reply have probably had a variety of
experience and settled on what they thought was best for their
situation. For them to express anything other than recommendations
(mostly) for their selection would be .. illogical ... Kirk!

And those who replied and had not selected one and/or had not practical
experience but only analytical comparisons are not the ones you want to
here from.

Ergo, it is not possible for you to get an unbiased recommendation in
which you can have confidence.

> Most of what I have seen says stay away from Qmail, but only because of lack
> of maintenance by the programmer. Everything else just seems to orbit around
> Exim, Postfix, and Sendmail. I don't want to learn all three, so ...
> Hello again sendmail!

However, as with any tool selection, they may all be the *right* one. It
depends on the job to be done. And level of expertise and/or effort
required is an important consideration, along with the more traditional
technical considerations.

Often the answers are wrong only because the original question was
incomplete. The question should include such phrases as "... level of
expertise...", "... volume approaching ...", "... remotely administered
or by the user ...", etc.

Of course, I found over the years that my greatest contribution was in
discovering the right questions. Everybody and his brother had the right
answers, but I was just plain ignorant.

MHO!