[CentOS] Re: Kind of OT: internal imap server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 22:45:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:04 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > I see flames!!!
> >
> > I wish I could find an UNBIASED comparison of the main MTA's.
> > I just seem to find ones that slant to the one that just happens to be used by
> > the writer.
>
> Not possible? Those who bother to reply have probably had a variety of
> experience and settled on what they thought was best for their
> situation. For them to express anything other than recommendations
> (mostly) for their selection would be .. illogical ... Kirk!

The problem is that MTA's typically have to mesh with a lot of other
tools, so you'll see people raving about one vs. the other because of
some almost-unrelated management wrapper or it's ability to do
SMTP AUTH against some oddball password database.  Also, if you are
looking for long experience, sendmail is pretty much the only one that
has been around for what I'd call a long time - but you can't really
compare its capabilities before the milter interface stabilized with
the current version.   A lot of people got things working with qmail
or postfix and haven't looked at the new capabilities of sendmail with
MimeDefang as a milter.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com