[CentOS] Upgrade 4.3 to 4.4 appeared to die half-way through

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:19:14 UTC 2006

On 31/08/06, Max H. <btmanmeh at verizon.net> wrote:
> Max H. wrote:
> > yum update yum
> > yum update
> >
> > It went about half way through and then the terminal seemed to just die.
> > It just sat there stuck in limbo. I let it go for about 30 minutes and
> > it never moved, so I killed the terminal, but yet yum was still running
> > as a process which I had to kill.
>
> FYI, I just seemed to discover that the actual upgrade process
> completed, but the cleanup afterwards part is what died. I'm showing
> various packages with two versions of packages installed. For example:

Again, sounds like you encoutered the Yum futex error/bug. See my
response to Simen in the parallel "Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem" thread
and the old threads back in the 4.2 -> 4.3 days.

"futex.. How to remove lots of duplicate packages"
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-March/thread.html#62319

"yum update killed on cleanup stage - anything to worry about?"
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-March/thread.html#62568

I don't know if there's any easy way to avoid this, but you can
mitigate the problem by batching your yum updates into smaller chunks
which will, if the futext problem halts the update, leave you with a
less hosed system. :)

Will.