[CentOS] Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:43:36 UTC 2006

On 31/08/06, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> Will McDonald wrote:
>
> >From your second link:
>    Yes, I did get lots of duplicate packages but I've already fixed
>    that.  Basically, what I did was to run Adam Stoke's script to
>    remove duplcate packages. It can be located at
>    http://astokes.org/?q=node/49
>
> That website is no longer working.  Is there still a copy of this
> script floating around?

Not that I could find unfortunaltey. I've just done...

[root at willspc ~]# for package in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" |
sort | uniq -d | grep -v kernel`;
do
  rpm -q $package;
done

Which lists all base duplicated packages (though at least kernel and
gpg-pubkey are this way by design I believe). Then manually removed
the older packages. You could THORETICALLY do...

# for duppackage in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" | sort | uniq -d
| grep -Ev '(kernel)|(gpg-pubkey)'`;
do
  for olderpackage in `rpm -q $duppackage | head -1`
  do
    rpm -e $olderpackage;
  done
done

WARNING: ^^^^ That's entirely untested and reliant on the ordering
from rpm output, which looks consistent but I couldn't *swear* to it.
So be careful! :)

Will.