[CentOS] /var goes read-only

Mon Dec 4 05:22:25 UTC 2006
John Newbigin <jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au>

Kevan Benson wrote:

> On Friday 01 December 2006 15:24, Joshua Gimer wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that is what we were thinking was happening. Smartd will not start
>>at boot,  it parses the config file just fine and then fails.
>

> Well, unless that's different than noted behavior before there were problems,
> that doesn't really indicate a bad drive any more than a drive/driver that
> doesn't support smartd.  Smartd doesn't work on most sata drives with the
> sata driver included in the stock CentOS kernel.
smart does work, the default config from from redhat is wrong see bug
#176835 and #187181.  The output from smartctl used to be wrong.  The
correct command was sent by Alfred

Use '-d ata'.  -d is for device type, not debug.

Older versions of smart incorrectly said to use '-d libata'.  Old
versions of CentOS-4 did not support smart on sata but no one would be
running anything that old would they?

If you want smartd to start at boot, edit /etc/smartd.conf and add '-d ata'

You should probably also read the instructions because out of the box it
probably won't do much useful work.

My config file looks like this:
/dev/sda -d ata -a -m smart-errors at xxxx.com -s S/../.././02|L/../01/./04
-I 1 -I 194 -I 195