[CentOS] Up2Date and yum failing

Mon Dec 11 04:24:48 UTC 2006
CM <cm_e_mail at yahoo.com.au>

Hmmm

I seem to have a catch22 here.

I've found the page at http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=118 that discusses installing yum-pluging-fastestmirror

I quote:
"*How do I get this new system?*

This system is now live.  If you update your system with the normal *yum update* command you will get the new *centos-yumconf* package."

The thing is, yum update fails with a string of [errno 4] (socket time outs) and [errno 12] (mirror url timeouts)

Can I get the file some other way?
Thanks for your response

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:28:11 -0600
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Up2Date and yum failing
To: CentOS ML <centos at centos.org>

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 06:34 +1100, CM wrote:

> > I have 2 new servers built from 4.3 isos. I want to update them but
> > cannot do that because of update issues:
> >
> > Up2date fails because of a several dependency issues.
> > yum update fails because of a problem with the au mirrors. yum can find
> > the mirrors but not the headers.

I would recommend that you install yum-plugin-fastestmirror and enable
plugins in /etc/yum.conf by adding:

plugins=1

Then you can rollover to 10 mirrors using the default configuration.

The up2date issue happened because of a bug with handling obsoletes ...
which is fixed in an update :P

also ... header issues normally mean you need to clean your yum
cache ....

yum clean cache