[CentOS] Unable to mount SMB drive

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 06:33:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 23:48, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> The firewall on the mounting host is pretty much the CentOS default, which
> includes the "Established,related" clause in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
>
> To be sure, I opened up 137-139 & 445, still got the same results, so I turned
> off the firewall altogether. Same results.
>
> This is driving me NUTS! I've got smb mounts of Windows 2000, Windows XP,
> Win98, and other Samba shares working elsewhere. What's the difference
> between smbclient and smbmount from the perspective of permissions?

Smbclient reads /etc/samba/smb.conf and uses the password server
and domain (workgroup) if set there.  I'm not sure if
smbmount does the same, but I've had a few surprises when
smbclient (as used by backuppc) used a domain login when
I thought I was specifying a local account on the target
machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com