[CentOS] Unable to mount SMB drive

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 4 06:46:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 21:48 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> The firewall on the mounting host is pretty much the CentOS default, which
> includes the "Established,related" clause in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
>
> To be sure, I opened up 137-139 & 445, still got the same results, so I turned
> off the firewall altogether. Same results.
>
> This is driving me NUTS! I've got smb mounts of Windows 2000, Windows XP,
> Win98, and other Samba shares working elsewhere. What's the difference
> between smbclient and smbmount from the perspective of permissions?
----
quite a lot actually...generally smbclient commands are a lot more
flexible and permit 'guest' users to enumerate.

smbmount also infers a root mount on the system itself whereas smbclient
would simply run in user space and connect to users home file system.

Logs are your friend...your answers are probably in a log somewhere...

(note - as root)

# mkdir /mnt/windows-share

# mount -t smbfs //SERVER-NAME/share_name /mnt/windows-share \
-o "username=VALID_WINDOWS_ACCOUNT,password=PASSWORD_FOR_VALID_ACCOUNT"

you might want to add things like uid=500,gid=500 inside quotes for your
user/group id's

Craig