[CentOS] Entry server hardware

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Feb 12 16:52:50 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman wrote:

> I have several machines with a Dell (LSI) ide RAID controller that LSI
> just decided not to port from kernel 2.4 to 2.6.  Although it has now
> been ported by the community, it has never really regained its status
> a first class citizen.  It's possible to make it work, but every
> kernel upgrade breaks it again.  My plan is to be rid of all of these
> "unsupported" cards by next October and run software RAID on all my
> machines.

Sorry to reply to myself, but my post suggested a question.  I have been
planning on doing a clean install to move from hardware raid to
software.  The plan is to move from Fedora 4 with hardware raid to
CentOS 5 with software raid in September.  However, I suppose there is a
way to move from a CERC 4ch/ATA100 comtroller using the old
"megaraid.ko" module running RAID 1 with 2 drives, to software RAID 1,
simply by moving the IDE cables and editing some config files.

Does anyone have a recipe handy?

Thanks,
Steve