[CentOS] How can I disable sound?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Feb 14 14:31:22 UTC 2006

Will McDonald wrote on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:30:12 +0000:

> You could try hacking around in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf ? Obviously make
> a backup copy first. :)

Ah, thanks. That shows "nforce AC'97 sound controller" or so using a
driver intel-8x0m. Onboard video and LAN work fine, but not sound. I
suppose if I want to stop it freezing I've to go to Nvidia and look for a
sound driver.

> # grep -r snd /etc/*

mostly in the alsa directory. I think I would need to stop modprobe from
detecting the soundcard. That's not much different from disabling the
soundcard, see next.

> Is sndconfig enabled in the various /etc/rc.N directories?

no sndconfig or snd-config, but snd mentioned in rc.sysinit and alsa in
the stop and reboot scripts (that's where the "saving mixer settings" is
coming from). I didn't really want to comment out stuff in the rc files,
so I have switched off onboard sound in the BIOS. Freezing has stopped.

> # chkconfig --list | grep -i snd
>
> Have you also tried setting the runlevel to 3 and running startx
> manually to see if the problem still occurs there?

Seems so, it stops after "starting anacron OK" (when switching to runlevel
3). Don't know what next option is, but i have given up on that, see
above.

Thanks for the hints, anyway!

Kai

--