[CentOS] How to add System V Filesystem to Centos?

Tue Feb 7 01:40:13 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 19:25 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 20:15 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > I can't answer your question, but I would like to suggest an alternative
> > that might be less work. Use cpio to make on output file and compress it
> > onto floppy using the compress command, which I have checked also exists
> > on CentOS (I *presume that your old UNIX doesn't have {b,g}zip. I see a
> > reference also to pack, but it seems to be only man pages. Both of these
> > compressions programs are very old and should be on your system.
>
> For cpio, which does work well on SCO:
>
> cd path_to_directory
> find . | cpio -ocv | compress > /dev/rfd0135ds18
>
> and then to extract under Centos:
>
> cd path_to_where_you_want_to_extract
> gunzip < /dev/floppy | cpio -idmvc
>
> BTW, I don't think that multivolume archives work between SCO and Linux
> for either cpio or tar.  They might work for cpio, but definitely not
> with compression.

Yep. In that case, compress to a work space and then use cpio command
again to write it to floppy and cpio *should* prompt for media change on
both output and input. On input, the result would be your compress cpio
(or tar if that's what you choose) on hd.

> If it works and you need multivolume, you'd have to do:
>
> find . | cpio -ocv -O/dev/rfd0135ds18

The correct params. But I still think do a compress to a temp file and
then a cpio out to the FD will be good.

BTW, use the blocking factor with cpio too. I will go *much faster. I
always used some multiple of 18432 (1.44 fd). On older UNIX hardware the
speed increase due to reduced system calls is really noticable.