[CentOS] Question about updates again

Wed Feb 15 00:37:32 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 18:26 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >The answer is:
> >
> >It depends :)
> >

> Thank you.  That makes everything quite clear. ;-)
>
> I guess my next, and hopefully last, question is "how should I prepare
> for this?".
>
> I have been quite pleased with the results of turning on the automatic
> nightly yum update on my CentOS machines. (I do not do this on my Fedora
> servers.)
>
> However, I am nervous about autoupdating during this possibly more
> turbulent period.  I guess an announcement will go out that 4.3 is
> coming and I can turn off autoupdates at that time?
>
> Looking at the dates in the CentOS 4.2 main repo, it looks like the
> updates occurred in three batches at 7 day intervals.  But I'm not sure
> I can trust those dates to be a representation of what actually happened
> when.
>
> Since I'm a CentOS newbie and no one else seems to be all that worried,
> I'm thinking that I might be making a big fuss over nothing.  (And
> please do tell me if I am.)
>
> I have clients that would be calling me if they have problems, but I'm
> not running any nuclear power plants or anything.

I would not auto update production servers during a point release ...
and I build this stuff :)

However, we do auto update the centos internal servers all the time.  We
have never had a problem with updates.

You will notice a buzz when the upstream provider releases update 3 ...
and you will have about a week from that point to turn off your servers
and do manual updates.

That is want I do ...