[CentOS] Question about updates again

Tue Feb 14 16:29:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:05 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Presumably, the CentOS 4.3 update is not far away.  I have CentOS on
> several servers now and am doing automatic updates.  What can I excpect
> when the actual update gets pushed?  Is there an inclrease in the number
> of patches?  Does it happen all in one day?  And if so, how much notice
> do I have?
>
> Although I asked on the list a while back, I got some answers that
> implied said that at update time, bug fix patches are released and at
> other times only security patches.  But I also got a couple of answers
> that implied that the quarterly update was just a CD that brought the
> distro up to date with the already issued patches.  Sorry to keep
> beating on this issue, but I want to avoid surprises.

The answer is:

It depends :)

The upstream provider will push security updates as part of the new
update release set ... as well as bugfix and enhancement updates.

Sometimes the security updates depend on bugfix updates or enhancement
updates, sometimes they don't.

If there are some very serious security issues that don't have a huge
dependency chain on bugfix and enhancement updates ... we might release
those security updates before we release the rest of the updates.

On the last major update, all the security updates depended on other
items and we released everything at the same time ... just like the
upstream provider did.  On the first update cycle, we released some
security updates first and then released the rest of the update set as a
group.

Basically, you can plan for the worse case, that all the updates will
hit on the same update cycle when we release them.  That is the way it
happens upstream.

If you run RHN after the upstream provider releases their update ...
there is no security updates only or security and bugfix updates
only ... if the updates are released they are updated on your system,
end of story.

We will mimic that behavior unless there is a critical security update
that we can release by itself.