Returning to - Re: [CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Mon Feb 20 13:32:56 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> >here are packages for 1.4.2 java versions also. Keep in mind, you
> >still have to get java from
> >java.sun.com.
>
> The instructions I have found say I need j2sdk-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Yes. That's the package from sun that I mentioned earlier.

> An earlier reply on this list said I would find what I needed at
> jpackage.  The only think I see listed for 1.4.2 on jpackage is
> gcj-compat and Kaffe.  Well at least they have 1.4.2 in their discriptions.

Quit looking at their '60 most recent packages' or only looking in
their free section. Java is NOT free (as in speech) the way you're
thinking it is. There's 1.4.2 stuff all over jpackage. Below I've
listed samples.

http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3360
http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3355

> So I guess I have to figure out getting the stuff from sun after all...

I'd swear we covered this already. Jave is not freely distributable.
You get java from java.sun.com (or from ibm or blackdown), and then
you use the jpackage rpms to help set up a functional java
environment. Sun's packaging sucks in the worst possible way. Jpackage
fixes that for you.

> got it.

I hope so.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775