Returning to - Re: [CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Mon Feb 20 20:13:35 UTC 2006

At 08:32 AM 2/20/2006, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > >here are packages for 1.4.2 java versions also. Keep in mind, you
> > >still have to get java from
> > >java.sun.com.
> >
> > The instructions I have found say I need j2sdk-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>
>Yes. That's the package from sun that I mentioned earlier.

Jim, I have a 'problem' that I have too many tasks going at one
time.  I cannot complete any of them soon, and I have to keep all of
them moving.

I have recently grabed FreeMind to start documenting all this.  I am
building up quite a bit of information in there already...

> > An earlier reply on this list said I would find what I needed at
> > jpackage.  The only think I see listed for 1.4.2 on jpackage is
> > gcj-compat and Kaffe.  Well at least they have 1.4.2 in their discriptions.
>
>Quit looking at their '60 most recent packages' or only looking in
>their free section.

Just their free section, listed down the left.

>Java is NOT free (as in speech) the way you're
>thinking it is. There's 1.4.2 stuff all over jpackage. Below I've
>listed samples.
>
> > So I guess I have to figure out getting the stuff from sun after all...
>
>I'd swear we covered this already. Jave is not freely distributable.

I am sure you did, and I am going through my archived messages for
whatever I can find to put together what I need to do.

>You get java from java.sun.com (or from ibm or blackdown),

So I install the j2sdk-1_4_2_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin  from

https://jsecom16b.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=3221109388A8563CC12A56FD8969DDEC

>and then you use the jpackage rpms to help set up a functional java
>environment. Sun's packaging sucks in the worst possible way. Jpackage
>fixes that for you.

Then I add jpackage repro after the centos repro and do a yum update.

> > got it.
> >

>I hope so.

Did not get to it today.  I will go for it tomorrow.  Unless I get
Webmin installed on that box, and I can do this all via webmin.  I
have installed webmin on my AsteriskAtHome.