[CentOS] date in logrotate

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:01:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 14:43, Jim Perrin wrote:
> Quick logrotate question for the group. To comply with a PHB mandate,
> I need to keep our apache logs for a minimum of 2 years, and will be
> periodically required to hand over chunks of the logs from specific
> dates/times. While extending the timeframe of logrotate is easy, I've
> found that there's no elegant solution in the RH/CentOS logrotate for
> appending dates to the filename. I'm curious to know what others with
> similar requirements are doing for this. I'd like to stay within the
> default system framework (no 3rd party apps as they have to be
> "approved"), so mostly I'm looking for suggestions for a more elegant
> postrotate script.

One approach is to use the /usr/sbin/rotatelogs program that is
supplied as part of apache.  You specify the logfile(s) as pipes
to rotatelogs in the httpd.conf file with parameters to specify
the base filename and interval to create new ones.  The files
are created with the timestamp as part of the filename - as opposed
to renaming them when rotating so it works well if you copy
with rsync but other handling might need changes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com