[CentOS] LVM

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:13:03 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 13:40, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > > My recollection is that if any drive in an LVM fails the whole LVM
> > > fails.
> > >

> > LVM doesn't fail .. but hard drives do.  If a hard drive failed that was
> > part of the LVM, you would lose all that info, true. That is why one
> > should use a CRC type RAID (1, 1+0, 5) under LVM ... (or LVM on top of
> > RAID) :)
> >
> > Then you can replace the failed drive and keep going.
>
> Is there a simple way to install the system on LVM-on-top-of-RAID1?

I'd like to second this question. The other day I tried a CentOS 4.2
install on two IDE drives. My goal was to mirror them (software raid
1) and put them in an LVM so that I might, in future, add two more
drives and add them to the existing mirror.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so, how? I could not figure it out despite trying what seemed
like every combination of options in disk druid.

I succeeded in getting a RAID 1, but not in putting a RAID inside a
logical volume.

Thanks,
Matt