[CentOS] LVM

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Tue Jan 10 21:27:26 UTC 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Matt Morgan wrote:

> 1) Is this possible?

yes.

> 2) If so, how? I could not figure it out despite trying what seemed
> like every combination of options in disk druid.

if memory serves...

1) create /dev/hda1 with type Software RAID autodetect and size 100M
2) create /dev/hdb1 with type Software RAID autodetect and size 100M
3) click the "RAID" button and create a RAID 1 volume, /dev/md0,
using those two partitions
4) format /dev/md0 as ext3 with mount point /boot
5) create /dev/hda2 with type Software RAID autodetect and size <the
rest of the disk>
6) create /dev/hdb2 with type Software RAID autodetect and size <the
rest of the disk>
7) click the "RAID" button and create a RAID 1 volume, /dev/md1,
using those two partitions
8) format /dev/md1 as Logical volume
9) click the "LVM" button and create a new volume group containing /
dev/md1
10) create logical volumes within this volume group as necessary (i'd
recommend at least swap, /var, /)

proceed with your install.  when finished, you've got one more step
after you reboot; you need to copy grub onto the MBR of /dev/hdb.
here are instructions:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/008898.html

somebody else may have written this up on this list before.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v