[CentOS] 'root' ssh login

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:40:21 UTC 2006

> In addition to the suggestion on how to turn off root, you may want
> to also explicitly allow only certain users.
>
> AllowUsers username
>
> To even tighten it down even more.
>
> You wouldn't believe the number of attempts I get on my DSL line to
> login.

Alternatively, changing the port, and/or requiring ssh keys for
authentication are excellent at eliminating this type of junk.

For the few of you who are reading this and too lazy to type ssh -p
XXX hostname, ~/.ssh/config is EXCELLENT for this.
add/create a file with an entry like:

Host somename
Hostname FQDN.here
Port XXX

then you'll be able to do 'ssh somename' and it'll work.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT