[CentOS] 'root' ssh login

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Jan 20 19:24:36 UTC 2006

I changed the port from 22 to a random high port (> 1024) and disabled root
login with passwords in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

PermitRootLogin without-password

Since doing these, I've had zero problems with dictionary attacks and the
like.

I've had a page bookmarked since forever ago, that explains keys:
http://mah.everybody.org/docs/ssh

-Ben

On Monday 16 January 2006 07:40, Jim Perrin wrote:
> Alternatively, changing the port, and/or requiring ssh keys for
> authentication are excellent at eliminating this type of junk.

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978