[CentOS] htdbm

Sun Jan 22 11:43:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 16:21 -0700, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> According to the man page for htdbm:
>
> NAME
>        htdbm - Manipulate DBM password databases
>
> SYNOPSIS
>       <snipped>
>
>        htdbm -l [ -TDBTYPE ]
> <snipped>
>
>      -l     Print each of the usernames and comments from the database
> on stdout.
>
> yet when I execute htdbm I am finding that the output of the command is
> going to stderr not stdout. I have proved this by trying the following
> two commands:
>
> $ htdbm -l -TDB passwords > junk; wc junk
> Dumping records from database -- ./passwords
>     Username                        Comment
>     <snipped>
>
> 0 0 0 junk
>
> $ /usr/bin/htdbm -l -TDB ./passwords >&junk; wc junk
>   28   37 1034 junk
>
> Note in the first command the output still goes to the screen despite
> the stdout redirect with ">". In the second command line I added the "&"
> ito redirect stderr to the file. This time note that there is no htdbm
> output to the screen and that the file junk now contains the expected
> data. This is clearly a bug. Does anyone know of a work around to this
> problem or where I can find a RPM for dbmmanage?

It may or may not be a bug (it does what you say, but I am not smart
enough about it to know if it is a bug or a feature), but this is part
of the main httpd (apache) rpm.  So there would not be an RPM that
specifically fixes this.

There are many different configure switches dealing with stderr and
htdbm in apache when compiling it (we compile it exactly as they do
upstream).

Doing a little bit more research, there is a switch ( -n ) that allows
output to stdout ... maybe you need to use that switch if you want to
get output to stdout.