[CentOS] htdbm

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Jan 22 16:57:38 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>It may or may not be a bug (it does what you say, but I am not smart
>enough about it to know if it is a bug or a feature), but this is part

Neither am I. I didn't want to go file a bugzilla report if the code is
actually working the way it is supposed to work.

>of the main httpd (apache) rpm.  So there would not be an RPM that
>specifically fixes this.

I thought there was a small chance that this was a known problem and
that perhaps there was a "test" version of apache with the fix.

>Doing a little bit more research, there is a switch ( -n ) that allows
>output to stdout ... maybe you need to use that switch if you want to
>get output to stdout.

Yes I was aware of the switch. I left it out of my original post because
my impression of the man page was that switch was only used to redirect
a command like:

htdbm -nb [ -c ] [ -m | -d | -p | -s ] [ -t ] [ -v ] username password

to stdout as opposed to

htdbm  -b  [  -TDBTYPE  ]  [ -c ] [ -m | -d | -p | -s ] [ -t ] [ -v ]
filename username password

which actually modifies the database.

I considered it a "test" mode for a particular htdbm usage per the
command Synopsis.

In any event I am calling htdbm -l -TDBTYPE from a perl CGI script and
just modified that script to redirect stderr ala 2>&1. It just took me a
while before the lights came on to what was occurring. I didn't think to
try -l -n on the same command so I can give that a shot... that is
probably a better solution for the problem if it works. Thanks for the
idea Johnny.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)