[CentOS] OT - Linux NAS for Windows Environment

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jan 31 22:23:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Troy Engel wrote:

> Benjamin Smith wrote:
> >
> > We've combined our contractual requirement for nightly off-site backups and
> > snapshotting using Linux and rsync. I've put it together into a project
> > written in PHP that you're free to use:
> >
> > http://www.effortlessis.com/backupbuddy
>
> So here's a question from another direction regarding your project and
> others that have this in common: is there a technical reason you can't
> use a push mode to an rsync daemon, and require passwordless SSH instead?
>
> At home I have a basic FC4 laptop hidden under the stereo that runs MPD
> to stream music, and it doubles as a basic backup server (external USB
> disk). This laptop has a static IP, but all others are on DHCP.
>
> What makes sense to me is that the server runs rsyncd in a target mode,
> something like:
>
>   [laptop1]
>     path = /mtn/usbdrive/backups/laptop1
>     (other options...)
>
> Then from the client, it simply runs the backup client indicating who
> the server is and it's target, supplying the password (rsync
> user at server1::laptop1 etc.). To me this seems a lot more architecturally
> simple (and if you want SSH, you set it up after-the-fact as the
> transport) and so forth.
>
> Yet, no project (I can find, rdiff-backup would be nice) does this - is
> there a reason? Why does everyone insist on dealing with SSH and keys?
> (ignore the encryption benefit)

Interested in helping me develop it ? It seems pretty easy to do and
enormously useful for myself. (especially if it can also include rsnapshot
kind of functionality as well)

I'm taking up some new challenges lately to build some very simple tools
that simplify (or automate) all the work I've done until recently.

I'll be announcing another one the coming days regarding kickstart
management and PXE booting (as part of Yam).

Kind regards,