[CentOS] Large partition problem

Tue Jan 3 16:42:48 UTC 2006
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

HaraldFinnås <spamcatcher at lantrix.no> wrote:
> It formatted just fine, showed up with df just fine, and
> happily accepted the data copied to it...

I've seen that before, only for something to choke at 1-2+TiB
(1.1-2.2+TB).  That's why I always recommend, as a general
rule, never to create filesystems bigger than 1TiB (1.1TB).
There's just too many variables that can go wrong.

As much as there have been increases to support 2, 4 or even
8TiB with Ext3 and ReiserFS, I don't trust them to be
universally compatible across various distros and kernels.

About the only kernel/filesystem combination I've ever had
bliss with were the official SGI XFS releases for kernel 2.4.
 Allegedly late SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9 updates
now has good support for XFS, but I've also seen people
openly complain about things not working.

> The box has ALOT of disks, and we didn't feel like doing
> all that copying just to change filesystem when if after
all
> was working just fine.

But you formatted a _new_ filesystem.  If you decided to do
that, and were running CentOS, you should have stuck with
Ext3.  Just because your existing data is in ReiserFS,
doesn't mean your new, large filesystem had to be ReiserFS.
;->

> I think the box initially had suse or mdk installed which
is
> the main reason for using reiserfs.

And I can understand that for your _existing_
volumes/filesystems.  But for anything _new_, stick with the
distro's kernel and its filesystem support.

> I also read some comments on ext3 not beeing too clever
> with large disks, but I'm not sure if they still apply.

And I could tell you a lot about ReiserFS that would scare
you.
The reality is that if you have data you care about, you
should stick with the distro's kernel and what it supports
for all new data.

> All the other disks which are just below the 2TB limit and
> has reiser works just fine; the problem is this large
beast...

Yes, which is why multi-terabyte support is always an open
question I don't like to leave to chance.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***