[CentOS] Compile vs. RPM

Tue Jan 10 02:35:38 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

I find that the maintainers of the RPMs (at RedHat, and by reference, CentOS)
are much more punctual in updating their stuff than I am. So, I prefer to use
RPMs whereever possible.

To do it all yourself requires constant vigilance and I'm a busy guy...

In combination with yum, I'm almost never out of current; a problem I always
had in the past. There are still a few things I have to compile and manage
with checkinstall, but they are few, now.

Viva RPM and yum!

-Ben