[CentOS] Backup strategy using 2 HDD + 2 drawers

Thu Jan 12 06:48:56 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

I hope this helps.

I have an ancient AMD K6-2 running Fedora Core 1 I use just for backups.
(Thanks, Fedora Legacy!) It's behind a NAT firewall to minimize security
issues.

It has a pile of HDDs in it, totalling well over a terabyte. (and about to be
upgrade to near 2 TB!) It's offsite from any primary hosting, and it's always
on. I don't bother pulling HDD out - it's already offsite!

I use Backup Buddy http://www.effortlessis.com/backupbuddy to perform the
backups. It's pretty reliable.

Anyway, if you want to "sync up" two drives periodically, I'd suggest either
using software RAID 1, and re-adding the drive to a normally-broken array,
(look for the software RAID howto) or using rsync. (The latter doesn't
perform nearly as well as the former, but has fewer dependencies at the
filesytem level)

It all depends on what you're really after...

-Ben