[CentOS] Re: Volume of patches for CentOS vs Fedora

Fri Jan 27 22:39:09 UTC 2006
Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com>

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> What on earth did I do to deserve that missive?  I simply thought you
> missed the original post.  You're reading criticism into my post that
> simply wasn't there.  Jeez.

Well, for my part, I appreciate all the answers I have received.
Actually, you both are right.  There is only one server at this site,
and several Centos 4.2 workstations with a modified installation so that
they just boot up into an XDMCP gdm login sscreen from the server.  The
users are doing all their email, web browsing, office applications, in
remote X sessions.  However, it is also running two accounting
applications: a legacy application running under FilePro and its soon to
be replacement, Appgen MyBooksPro 6.2.  Plus it will be doing LDAP,
DHCPD, probably acting as an intranet server, and file serving for a
windows desktop.

As it happens, this server, which I *thought* was still RH9, turned out
actually to be FC4 already.  So, for now, I'm leaving it that way.  In
September or so, the owner and I are going to discuss the possiblility
of doing a fresh install of Centos 5.0 to eliminate the cruft that has
resulted from its RH8->RH9->FC4 history.

-Steve