[CentOS] Repository DAG is out

Tue Jan 31 15:22:02 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 1/31/06, Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
> A good little trick is somethimes to flush the name server cache
> supporting DNS lookup requests from the machine doing the yumming...
>
> If there is any round robin DNS entries this could move the request onto
> another server that might be ok.....
>
> For example if you resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1 for the name server
> (i.e. your running bind on the machine you want to  yum) do a
> service named restart
>
> and try the yum again....
>
> It has , on occasion, worked for me in the past

This can work if the problem is round-robin DNS (though there's still
a chance of getting the bad mirror on a fresh lookup)

HIS problem however is NOT dns related. He didn't have multiple
mirrors listed, and appears to be getting  bad/corrupt data/metadata
from the one he's got. He has no trouble at all locating and
connecting to the mirror. It's from that point on that he has trouble.
'yum clean metadata' or 'yum clean all' may solve his issue, but
ultimately he needs a bit more redundancy in his life.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT