[CentOS] Inherited an everything box

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 00:02:20 UTC 2006

On 6/6/06, Ed Morrison <ed at morrisonnetworks.com> wrote:
> The yum group commands (with the escapes :-)) worked their magic for
> me.  Thank you to all helped.  I do appreciate it.

That's the shotgun blast to get you started. If you want to fine tune
things a bit, you can do something like:
'rpm -qa | sort > starting_rpmlist'

and then go through that list removing what you don't need. If you're
not sure what a package is, 'rpm -qi packagename' will give you a
brief description of it. If you don't need it, use yum to remove it.
Caution against a -y with yum when doing this, as occasionally a
seemingly innocent package or something you don't know about might and
up removing large chunks of things. Yum lets you know what it's
taking, so a quick glance over the remove deps is a good idea.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be