[CentOS] Raid Cards

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 15:10:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 22:58 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
> > I just looked at the boot sector on the 3 machines that I have running
> > software raid1.  It looks like the installer got it right on all 3.
> > IIRC, one was installed as CentOS 4.1, another as 4.2, and another as 4.3.
>
> The installer will install grub. Just not properly. If the first disk
> dies, when the box comes up, the previous second disk grub stage 1 will
> load but it will not look for the stage 2 on the current disk and
> therefore fail.

That will depend on what your bios does when the first drive fails and
whether you've had to move it to make it boot at all.  On the scsi
systems where I've used it, the 2nd drive will boot and everything
on the cable shifts up if the first drive fails or is removed.
IDE systems are different - and normally won't boot if a failed drive
is still connected.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com