OT: Hong Kong (wasRe: [CentOS] Raid Cards)

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Thu Jun 15 03:15:30 UTC 2006

Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>>
>>> I get that from my local vendor, and that may include an educational
>>> discount. For example, another vendor I often use lists the 8LP at
>>> $609.99.
>>> My price is $491.98.
>>> I think I should consider myself lucky!
>>
>> /me looks at Matt with envy.
>>
>> The price I am quoting comes from the local distributor...and it ain't
>> that much lower too from local resellers.
>>
>> A whole hundred bucks difference. Sigh. So much for Hong Kong being a
>> place for good deals.
>
> I think my wife would disagree.  She would see the availability of
> Granville Road in Kowloon where she could buy unlimited supplies of dirt
> cheap designer bags and clothes as a good substitute. :D

Ah, I should have specified the illusion of electronic goods being
cheaper in this duty free haven :D

> How many cards did you need?  I wonder if they'd be cheaper in
> Shenzhen?  Might be worth the ferry ride if you bought a lot of them.

Heh, the pricing I got was from the local distributor who was also the
local distributor in Shenzen.

Even the proximity with Taiwan didn't make much of a difference with
Areca cards...they are pretty much the same as the 3ware cards...I guess
that means the vote is for 3ware :P given the maturity of their drivers
and the whole known stability their cards have :) whereas Areca is
pretty much unexplored territory for me.

None at the moment. I was just wondered what, if any, differences there
would be if I bought one card here.