[CentOS] How do you set the refresh frequency for the X server?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jun 26 14:31:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 09:55 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> During the kickstart installation of the CentOS 4.3 systems I
> recently built, anaconda probed for the video card (Intel 945) and
> monitor (NEC MultiSync 2070NX).  The optimal setting for this monitor
> is 1600x1200 @ 60Hz.  The X server is configured to use 1600x1200,
> but it is using a higher refresh rate, which causes the monitor to
> display an error message, and it also locks you out of the on-screen-
> menu.  How do you translate a 60Hz refresh frequency into the
> appropriate horizontal sync and vertical refresh frequencies in the
> xorg.conf file?  I can't find anything to change in system-config-
> display.  Any suggestions?

Here is some information I have used as background.

    http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/fbdev/HOWTO/3.html

The above seems thorough, but is murky in some ways - refs to apply the
previous formula when there are more than one. I also seem to recall
that Brian J. Smith had posted something on this. Maybe searching the
archives? I hope my memory's not wrong, searches can *eat* time. He also
has a blog and it would be referenced in archives too I think.

I seem to remember that there was a post of a very easy formula posted
in the LinuxFromScratch archives long ago. Googling there with

   site:linuxfromscratch.org

as one of the args might find that as well.

> Thanks,
> Alfred
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH