[CentOS] Syslog

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 27 20:14:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:08 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >>

> ><snip>

> Ok.. maybe this will help get me back... few weeks back, talking about
> shutting down unneeded processes, and servers.  I did such. About the
> only thing I see NOT running that was before, but *shouldn't * affect,
> or I'd think it would not affect syslogd is portmap.

I can't recall ever seeing logging affected by that. But, the logging
does use ports (unix ports, IIRC), so maybe there is some error or some
connection I'd never seen? Used to be tcpwrappers and portmap worked
together and I always did a deny all and enable local. But that was
always only IP related (IP #s, host-domain-names,...).

> You are correct Bill.. time for man syslogd and see what I need to do to
> debug the thing.  All the obvious have been checked out.

And I would not be surprised if just restarting it fixed it too! You
know how obtuse these damn things can be!

> <snip>

Good luck.
--
Bill