[CentOS] Syslog

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Tue Jun 27 20:28:12 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>

>> Ok.. maybe this will help get me back... few weeks back, talking about
>> shutting down unneeded processes, and servers.  I did such. About the
>> only thing I see NOT running that was before, but *shouldn't * affect,
>> or I'd think it would not affect syslogd is portmap.
>>

> I can't recall ever seeing logging affected by that. But, the logging
> does use ports (unix ports, IIRC), so maybe there is some error or some
> connection I'd never seen? Used to be tcpwrappers and portmap worked
> together and I always did a deny all and enable local. But that was
> always only IP related (IP #s, host-domain-names,...).
>

>> You are correct Bill.. time for man syslogd and see what I need to do to
>> debug the thing.  All the obvious have been checked out.
>>

> And I would not be surprised if just restarting it fixed it too! You
> know how obtuse these damn things can be!
>

>> <snip>
>>

> Good luck.

No joy.  Q.  I see a process called "klogd" is running a different pid
from syslogd.  I don't ever recall seeing something as klogd before??  I
got a sneaking suspicion I stopped something, but if I only knew what
besides syslogd was required.  Portmap does not apparently need to be
running, as nothing still has been written to the log file, and a reboot
did not help.  Rats.....