[CentOS] Syslog

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 27 20:33:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:28 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:08 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> >
> >> William L. Maltby wrote:
> >><snip>

> > And I would not be surprised if just restarting it fixed it too! You
> > know how obtuse these damn things can be!
> >

> >> <snip>
> >>

> > Good luck.
> >
> No joy.  Q.  I see a process called "klogd" is running a different pid
> from syslogd.  I don't ever recall seeing something as klogd before??  I
> got a sneaking suspicion I stopped something, but if I only knew what
> besides syslogd was required.  Portmap does not apparently need to be
> running, as nothing still has been written to the log file, and a reboot
> did not help.  Rats.....

I have klogd too. I think it's probably related to your prob somehow.

[root at wlmlfs08 InstallUpdate]# grep -irl klogd /etc/rc.d
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K88syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K88syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S12syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S12syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S12syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S12syslog
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K88syslog
/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog

> <snip sig stuff>

Did you get my corection to myself on ls -dl /dev/syslog? Any hope on
that?

--
Bill