[CentOS] Syslog

Jason Bradley Nance aitrus at tresgeek.net
Wed Jun 28 01:17:30 UTC 2006

>    It was not the package itself.  It's OK.  it was the syslog.conf that
> I had made an error in an entry I didn't catch at first.  There is no
> such thing as a "local8" and that is what I had for logging.  That was
> what was killing the whole shebang.  I knew the syslog had changed, I
> just didn't catch the error by being in a hurry.

You said you had DEFAULT install.  Here's the exact quote:

Me: "Is this a default syslog config or has it been modified to maybe
redirect to a logging box?"

You: "No, logging box -- everything as far as syslog and messages is
default."

Redirecting all logging to a different level is not default.

The point is if you would have ran the command and seen that the config
file had changed you could have looked into it and saw that there was
something messed up.

Jason Bradley Nance                        What would you cry for?
aitrus at tresgeek.net                          Swallow your pride for?
            Tres Geek                       What would you go wild for?
http://tresgeek.net/
                                                           -Poe, "Wild"