[CentOS] PERL module woes

Thu Jun 1 15:22:17 UTC 2006
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

I'm using CentOS 4.3 on all my PC's, and I'm very happy with it.
Everything *just* works.

I want to give DVD::RIP 0.97.10 a try. I enabled rpmforge and kbs repos,
but there's only 0.52.2 available, which has an annoying bug in it. So I
installed the main dependency, transcode, via yum. Then I downloaded the
(PERL) sources of DVD::RIP 0.97.10, ran configure (e. g. perl
Makefile.PL), and it complains about the following missing PERL modules:

AnyEvent 1.02
Event::ExecFlow 0.61
Event::RPC 0.89
Gtk2 1.081
Gtk2::Ex::FormFactory 0.62
Locale::TextDomain 0 [sic!]

Next step was to hunt these down with yum. Alas, yum install perl-
AnyEvent return a missing dependency error (Coro::Signals) and says it
won't be installed.

Each of these modules has quite an impressive list of dependencies in
return. Now I already performed a manual install of these on Slackware,
and it ran fine. So I gave it a try here. Following a suggestion on IRC,
I used cpan2rpm for this. But I couldn't get past the second module.

The first two dependencies are ExtUtils::Depends and
ExtUtils::PkgConfig. Now I can install *one* of these fine with
cpan2rpm, but when I get to the second module, I can't rpm -ivh it,
because RPM complains about a clash with the other module.

Which leaves me clueless. Any suggestions?

Niki Kovacs