[CentOS] PERL module woes

Thu Jun 1 17:41:29 UTC 2006
Kurt Hansen <khansen at charityweb.net>

Hi Niki,

Niki Kovacs wrote:

>Next step was to hunt these down with yum. Alas, yum install perl-
>AnyEvent return a missing dependency error (Coro::Signals) and says it
>won't be installed.
>
>Each of these modules has quite an impressive list of dependencies in
>return. Now I already performed a manual install of these on Slackware,
>and it ran fine. So I gave it a try here. Following a suggestion on IRC,
>I used cpan2rpm for this. But I couldn't get past the second module.
>
>The first two dependencies are ExtUtils::Depends and
>ExtUtils::PkgConfig. Now I can install *one* of these fine with
>cpan2rpm, but when I get to the second module, I can't rpm -ivh it,
>because RPM complains about a clash with the other module.
>
>Which leaves me clueless. Any suggestions?

It seems you want to stick with rpm, but it you are willing to try
perl's own "package installer" -- CPAN -- , you should be able to do
this with no problems after some initial config.

To run CPAN,

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell

It'll ask you a bunch of config questions to set up for your
environment. You can typically accept the default. Say you want to be
asked before installing dependies. Choose a mirror or 2 or 3 near you
when that choice comes up. Then, when that is done...

cpan> install DVD::RIP

It'll find all the cascading dependencies and install them for you after
asking. You might get some install errors due to compile problems or
test errors. Watch for them and, if they happen, try to install that
package alone and fix the errors.

I've been using this for years and been very happy with it. I understand
there are other, newer installers for perl as well.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen