[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Thu Jun 1 18:51:42 UTC 2006
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

My recently installed CentOS 4.3 system (which is the kickstart
server for other systems -- see other thread) is currently hung.  I
can ping it, but can't do much of anything else.  When I switch to
one of the virtual consoles, I can briefly see the "login:" prompt,
but then that window immediately fills with up with the following
message:

   EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaaction: Journal has
aborted

This is displayed over and over again.  I used the default
(automatic) partitioning scheme, so the root file system is an ext3
partition on a logical volume that spans most of the disk (everything
except for the swap partition and /boot).  Anyone else seen this?
Any ideas as to what would cause this?  I'll be rebooting the system
shortly...

Alfred