[CentOS] libtiff build error

Thu Jun 1 20:24:51 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> But there is no rpm for libtiff v 3.8.2 for Centos.  Every indication
> is that I need this.  Well we will see what is supplied in the new
> Trixbox (Asterisk at home's new name).

Very true, but you can always build your own. In any even, I won't
preach about this one too much.

> >>  But the make had the following error:
> >>
> >>  ./libtool: line 837: g++: command not found
> >
> >This one line has your winner. You lack the proper build tools to
> >complete your desired task. You're missing the gcc-c++, and probably
> >several other things you'll need.
>
> ??  yum groupinstall gcc-c++

There's no group by that name. If you're going to do the shotgun
approach like that then
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" is probably what you want

> >>  make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/tiff-3.8.2/libtiff'

> So I log in as user foo.  I do all the makes as foo.  But everything
> in /usr/var is owned by root...  ??

configure and make are run as your user. Make install (which should
really just be moving files to their final location) is the only thing
you need to run as root or with sudo.

> I have looked for some reasonable howtos but so far have come up short.

I don't really have any to offer. Maybe someone else on the list will.

> 1104 -r--r--r--    1 root root 1126338 May  9 07:38 libtiff.a
>     0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      14 May 24 11:07 libtiff.so ->
> libtiff.so.3.6
>     0 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root      14 May 24 11:07 libtiff.so.3 ->
> libtiff.so.3.6
>   308 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root root  311088 May  9 07:38 libtiff.so.3.6

This may not be as obvious as you think. The way you're doing things
right now would install libtiff in /usr/local/ so you'd end up with
both versions. and your asterisk application would have to be
specifically told which one to use, as it'll probably link against the
files in /usr before the files in /usr/local

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be