[CentOS] centos & mysql

Fri Jun 2 10:03:24 UTC 2006
Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net>

> Hi everyone, as a newbie to linux Im having a but of a problem getting
> up and running.  Hopefully one of you you can point me in the right
> direction.  I have installed Centos4 on an old server here at work as a
> dev box, installation went well, and I have mysql up and running.
> However when I try and connect from my laptop using mysql administrator
> I get an error saying “the host is not allowed to connect to this
> server” I tried disabling the firewall to see if that helped and it made
> no difference.  I also tried pinging the server and that was fine.
>

> I tried connecting using the servers ip, name localhost and password as
> blank.
>
> When im logged in a root on the server this allows be to login ok.

this is a MySQL question really but...

You need to 'grant' access to the database from the remote client, in
this case you laptop so on the server

grant all on databasename.* to username at host identified by 'password';

flush privileges;

now the databasename and the username are yours to choose and depending
on if the server can resolve the IP that the laptop is on that will
either be its hostname or its IP

thanks