[CentOS] Remote reboot problem

Sun Jun 4 13:53:01 UTC 2006
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> Don't know if this might be hardware or software related, but it
>> seems that every time I attempt to do a remote reboot of the machine,
>> everything shuts down normally, and it never comes back.  Just
>> returned from the co-lo site, and when I plugged the monitor in, it
>> had gone to the point of "rebooting" and hung.  This is 4.3  on x-86.
>

> I have the same problem with an a few old Intel 815 chipset P3 boxes,
> but it's never annoyed me enough to fix it.  8-)  I agree with Rodrigo
> that it's likely some sort of acpi issue
>
> Cheers,

I'll try the acpi route prior to the next reboot. Just looked, and it's
an AMD Sempron 3100.  The machine runs flawlessly except for this remote
reboot problem.  I normally don't bother trying to reboot except when
there is a kernel update that fixes something.  As this is a production
machine too, I try to leave it running as much as possible, and it's a
PITA to have to get someone from the ISP's staff to meet me at the co-lo
site to let me in.  As for the arch, I generally use i386 to indicate
anything  intel or amd  that is not a 64-bit processor, which as Jim
mentioned is rather old terminology.  I came along when 8088's were the
mainstay of computers.  Gosh, thinking about that, it seems like it was
a century ago !

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net
Augusta Area Mesonet