[CentOS] Remote reboot problem

Sun Jun 4 14:22:50 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Sam Drinkard wrote:

> Chris Mauritz wrote:
>
>> Sam Drinkard wrote:
>>
>>> Don't know if this might be hardware or software related, but it
>>> seems that every time I attempt to do a remote reboot of the
>>> machine, everything shuts down normally, and it never comes back.
>>> Just returned from the co-lo site, and when I plugged the monitor
>>> in, it had gone to the point of "rebooting" and hung.  This is 4.3
>>> on x-86.
>>

>> I have the same problem with an a few old Intel 815 chipset P3 boxes,
>> but it's never annoyed me enough to fix it.  8-)  I agree with
>> Rodrigo that it's likely some sort of acpi issue
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> I'll try the acpi route prior to the next reboot. Just looked, and
> it's an AMD Sempron 3100.  The machine runs flawlessly except for this
> remote reboot problem.  I normally don't bother trying to reboot
> except when there is a kernel update that fixes something.  As this is
> a production machine too, I try to leave it running as much as
> possible, and it's a PITA to have to get someone from the ISP's staff
> to meet me at the co-lo site to let me in.  As for the arch, I
> generally use i386 to indicate anything  intel or amd  that is not a
> 64-bit processor, which as Jim mentioned is rather old terminology.  I
> came along when 8088's were the mainstay of computers.  Gosh, thinking
> about that, it seems like it was a century ago !

While it doesn't address the underlying problem, if it's a PITA to get
your datacenter folks to power cycle machines, why don't you get a
network-attached power strip?  APC used to sell them rather cheaply and
you could telnet (or use a web interface) to remotely power cycle
individual outlets on the power strip.  I used to have these until there
was a security exploit and APC was slow about releasing a fix.  So I
took them all out of service and throw a case of beer at the datacenter
staff now and then.  They're only too happy to closely monitor things
and fluff power as required now.  :-)

Cheers,