[CentOS] rhel source rpms

Sat Jun 10 22:12:09 UTC 2006
Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 02:45:39PM -0700, bruce enlightened us:
> new to centos, but i have a few questions...
>
> i understand that centos is a derivative of rhel, created from the
> exact/underluing source files used to create rhel. if this is the case, is
> it possible to get the actual source SRPMS for either RHEL, or for CentOS?
>
> I used to see the source files on the redaht system, but I don't seem to see
> them anymore...

Correct, the only changes are what are necessary for legal purposes, or on
occasion to make things build correctly. These should be clearly marked with
"centos" in the package release, the exception being the kernel packages.

Source RPMs are available for RedHat from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/

and CentOS SRPMS are available from http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/

> i'm curious to know what's better, using CentOS, or the latest fedora FC
> version...

Depends on what you want. CentOS is much more tested and stable. The
disadvantage is that most things are more-or-less "frozen" (with security
and bug fixes backported) at certain versions where Fedora often gets the
latest and greatest.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak