[CentOS] rhel source rpms

Sat Jun 10 22:16:03 UTC 2006
bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net>

johhny....

thanks, for the info!! just what i was loking for!

another question. is the latest version of CentOS pretty much the same as
the latest version of RHEL?

also, does CentoS have the ability to be downloaded using Bittorrent?

thanks

-bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org]On
Behalf Of Johnny Hughes
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:03 PM
To: CentOS ML
Subject: Re: [CentOS] rhel source rpms

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 14:45 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> new to centos, but i have a few questions...
>
> i understand that centos is a derivative of rhel, created from the
> exact/underluing source files used to create rhel.

CentOS is not in any way associated with, affiliated with, or supported
by Red Hat, Inc.  CentOS is built from open source SRPMS.  Here is where
we get the RPMS that we build:

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/

and

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/

>  if this is the case, is
> it possible to get the actual source SRPMS for either RHEL, or for CentOS?

See the above links for the upstream SRPMS that we use and for CentOS
SRPMS (the ones we actually build from ... we first remake the and
resign the point of origin SRPMS {change the ones that are required}):

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/

(we have several Repositories ... each one has an SRPMS directory)

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/Readme.txt

> I used to see the source files on the redaht system, but I don't seem to
see
> them anymore...
>
> i'm curious to know what's better, using CentOS, or the latest fedora FC
> version...

That depends on what you want (enterprise software or latest/greatest),
see this article:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/65/CentOS_4.2.pdf

> thanks
>
> -bruce