[CentOS] Old (really old) programs under CentOS.

Sun Jun 11 05:25:23 UTC 2006
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

----- Original Message -----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of Les Mikesell
Sent: Sat, 6/10/2006 10:53pm
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Old (really old) programs under CentOS.

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 21:26, Lamar Owen wrote:

>> Now, I've thought about a couple of possibilities:
>> 1.)    QEMU or VMware or similar running a RH5.2 instance under CentOS 4;
>> 2.)    Running a libc5 setup on CentOS 4.  I'd rather do this, as security fixes would at least be available.

>I'd expect the VMware route to be completely painless and have
>the least surprises.  It doesn't make much sense to throw extra
>work at something with no future.  Security fixes probably won't
>help with the parts you have to keep running anyway - just
>firewall access to anything else.

After more research, I found a copy, in my personal download archives, of the old AOLserver tarball linked with glibc2.1, from 1999.  I actually found both the libc5 and the glibc 2.1; a good thing, too, since they're not available from aolserver.com anymore, only the full open source versions are there.  There is a compat-glibc package for CentOS 2.1 for glibc2.1 (RedHat Linux 6.2's glibc); seems CentOS 2.1 would be a good fit (and, since this is after all the CentOS list, need to stay on topic).

VMware Server is in beta, and it is free, and it is downloading now....the end result will be a CentOS 2.1 virtual machine with the compat-glibc2.1 running the AOLserver instance, and hosted on VMware Server on CentOS 4.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology