[CentOS] Remaster CentOs Live CD

Mon Jun 12 00:59:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 12:18 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 20:58, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > >We publish all code and scripts we use for such stuff - and if users
> > >want to, they have access to this - to use and deploy within the GPL
> > >framework. What we do expect is that users who make this effort
> > >contribute back to the community rather than just sponging ( is there
> > >such a word ? ) off it.
> >
> > Karanbir, the word is 'freeloading.'
>
> But you have to admit that there would be something amusingly
> ironic about the Centos project opposing distribution rebuilds...

I have no problem with rebuilds if they are open source and they don't
claim to be CentOS.

You surely don't see PNAELV telling us how to create a distro ... or the
people at debian helping the ubuntu guys ... or gentoo guys helping
VLOS.

> Not offering to help is understandable though.

That is the point ... why would we help create a competing distro?

> Still, I think
> there is a place for things like the k12ltsp rebuild that
> adds things in a way that they come up working after an
> install without breaking any of the base system.  Such
> efforts should either be encouraged or made unnecessary
> by hosting yum-installable package groups in the centos-extra
> repository for add on features like this.

Doing addon repos or other rebuilds are absolutely fine if they
community projects.  CentOS-Extra is fairly large already, though we
would be glad to add trusted developers who have projects already
ongoing.