[CentOS] Changing from dynamic ip to static ip

Mon Jun 12 23:01:44 UTC 2006
Mark Richards <mark.richards at massmicro.com>

I think this means that their router is at 71.30.117.1, so at least
minimally you may want to set your ROUTER= and NAMESERVER= to that ip
(if they are providing dns through it).

The usable IP's are where you block starts, so you can assign an adapter
starting at 71.30.117.2, on up through the 0/30 range they've provided.

(Generally not a good idea to post your IP's in public message spaces by
the way).

 > My ip address, if I do an ifconfig, is 71.30.117.1.  This has me a

My guess is that this is because you're still using dhcp when you
initialize your adapter and the ISP therefore provides a fallback for
users who haven't switched?

All of this advice could be bozo, but based on my experience so far,
it's probably close enough to get you started.  I would, however, backup
your net config file, make a small change, and test it thoroughly.

Also, you might have to also add in your resolv.conf (or if windows, the
tcpip configuration) the ip addresses of the nameservers the ISP
provides, if other than the router address.

/m